Women In Film Los Angeles has chosen the primary class of members for its new Emerging Producers Program, which is designed to supply ladies and non-binary individuals entry to grasp lessons, mentorship and advising early of their producing careers.
Participants seeking to construct careers throughout numerous producing tracks in each movie and TV had been chosen by a jury of business leaders and veteran producer mentors, an inventory that features Jenn Asaro (VP Physical Production Finance, Warner Bros), Chelsea Barnard (Booksmart, If Beale Street Could Talk), Yolanda Cochran (SVP Live-Action Long-Form Production, Nickelodeon & Awesomeness), Linda Goldstein Knowlton (We Are the Radical Monarchs, Code Black), Niija Kuykendall (EVP Film Production, Warner Bros), Monica Levinson (Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, The Trial of the Chicago 7), Lyn Sisson-Talbert (Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey, Bookmarks) and Jeanette Volturno (companion/co-founder, Catchlight Studios).
Vertical Entertainment Acquires Hannah Marks’ ‘Mark, Mary & Some Other People’ Before Rom-Com’s Tribeca Premiere
The inaugural class:
- Apoorva Charan an L.A.-based producer who was born in India, raised in California, and began her profession at FremantleMedia Singapore as a digital producer.
- Lydia “Sue-Ellen” Chitunya is a filmmaker who hails from Zimbabwe and is a graduate of the UCLA Professional Producing Program.
- Luz Agudelo Gipson, a Colombian native whose business works the “Obama for America” 2008 presidential marketing campaign, which obtained the Titanium and Integrated Lions Grand Prix award at Cannes.
- Vanessa Haroutunian (they/she) is a queer producer, artist and curator.
- Takara Joseph, born in the Virgin Islands and raised in Atlanta, is a 2020 Film Independent Project Involve fellow and a Daytime Emmy-nominated producer and director of BET’s Giants.
- Quan Lateef-Hill is a producer, filmmaker, and creator growing and producing multi-platform content material in tv, movie, digital, podcast, stay occasion and experimental manufacturing. She was an inaugural member of the 2019 Blackhouse Foundation/Independent Film Project Multicultural Producers Fellowship.
- Sophie Luo is a producer and filmmaker whose current work contains campaigns and movies for TED’s Climate Countdown world initiative, a viral Desus and Mero collaboration with Timberland and a collaboration with Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Justice Democrats.
- Alexandra Perez is a producer and manufacturing supervisor who has labored on content material spanning tv, movie, digital and business platforms. She labored at eOne and Blumhouse earlier than changing into manufacturing supervisor on Blumhouse/Hulu’s anthology collection Into the Dark.
- Juliana Schatz Preston is a Colombian-American documentary movie producer and director whose debut, Los Comandos, was shortlisted for the 2019 Oscar.
Sharon Leal (Dreamgirls, Supergirl) has joined the solid of First Love, the romantic comedy drama from writer-director A.J. Edwards that stars Diane Kruger, Hero Fiennes Tiffin, Jeffrey Donovan and Sydney Park.
The movie, presently in manufacturing in Los Angeles, follows Jim (Tiffin), a senior in highschool who experiences the highs and lows of his past love with Ann (Park). At the identical time, Jim’s mother and father (Kruger and Donovan) are coping with the familial fallout spurred by the monetary disaster of 2008.
Henry Kittredge, Lucas Jarach, Nadine de Barros and Edwards are producers. Kruger serves as an govt producer. De Barros’ Fortitude International is absolutely financing.
Leal is repped by Buchwald.
Rooftop Films has set the lineup for its annual Rooftop Films Summer Series all through New York, beginning with its conventional quick movie showcase on Thursday, June 17 at Green-Wood Cemetery. The collection, offered by SundanceTV, will run by means of mid-September and comply with CDC pointers for gatherings to current greater than 40 out of doors screenings together with the annual lineup of stay music, performances and filmmaker Q&As.
Films on provide included Janicza Bravo’s Zola on the garden at Fort Greene Park, the world premiere screening of the ESPN collection Once Upon a Time in Queens concerning the 1986 Mets, documentaries together with Joshua Rofé’s Bob Ross: Happy Accidents and particular screenings of pageant pics together with Natalie Morales’ Language Lessons.
The full lineup and tickets are here.
Producers behind the just lately indie darkish comedy Stealing Chaplin are auctioning off 15 NFTs crafted from the pic, impressed by a real story about two brothers who dig up and steal the corpse of Charlie Chaplin. It was filmed on the Las Vegas Strip and Freemont Street and on Wayne Newton’s 27-acre ranch.
The pic, out there by way of VOD and DVD, was directed by Paul Tanter and co-written by the movie’s stars Simon Phillips and Doug Phillips beneath their Dystopian Films banner with fellow producer Ken Bressers. Proceeds from the public sale (discover it here) will go towards funding their subsequent venture, which the filmmakers imagine might be a viable financing income stream for the business.
“This new NFT market is especially exciting because it not only appeals to collectors and financial speculators but also to those, in our case, who want to support independent filmmakers,” Bressers stated.
Freestyle Digital Media has acquired North American VOD rights to Illegal, Nick Alexander’s feature-length documentary that traces the journey of Salvadoran immigrant Laz Ayala on his path to U.S. citizenship, the challenges of present-day immigration, and his mission to humanize immigrants and reform immigration for the good thing about all. It will hit digital platforms July 6.
Illegal raised greater than $40,000 by way of Kickstarter and has been enjoying at a number of festivals together with the Beverly Hills International Film Festival. Lazaro Ayala is the producer.
“Illegal tells the story of undocumented immigrants from the perspective of a once undocumented immigrant who challenges a broken system of foreign labor, human trafficking, and exploitation,” stated Ayala. “Illegal is about the immigrant, the American story and the American dream.”
Freestyle negotiated the cope with Glen Reynolds of Circus Road Films.
Here’s the trailer:
Vertical Entertainment has acquired North American rights to Born to Play, Viridiana Lieberman’s sports activities documentary that chronicles the ladies’s deal with soccer champions Boston Renegades, who play within the the Women’s Football Alliance. The Park Pictures movie, which debuted on ESPN Originals final 12 months, will now be launched on demand later this month.
This reps the second partnership between Vertical and Park Pictures after they teamed on Other People, the 2016 indie drama starring Jesse Plemons and Molly Shannon.
Born To Play shines a light-weight on a staff of outstanding athletes, ranging in age from 19-49, from a spectrum of backgrounds who put their our bodies on the road whereas sustaining full-time careers that assist their lifelong dream. Theodora Dunlap, Sam Bisbee and Lieberman produced, with Jon Bulette, Lance Acord, Jackie Kelman Bisbee and Rudy Valdez govt producing.