I’ve tried a ridiculous quantity of crock pot rooster recipes, and that is by far the most effective (and best) sluggish cooker entire rooster recipe that retains the rooster tremendous moist and falling-off-the-bone scrumptious—plus it’s a nice approach to change issues up for those who normally roast rooster! And when you have a well-stocked spice cupboard, you’ll hardly have to purchase something to make this dish.
What You’ll Find in This Post
- How to Cook Chicken in a Crock Pot
- The Best Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot Recipe
- Crock Pot Whole Chicken FAQ
- How to Make Chicken Stock
- Ideas for Your Leftover Chicken
- More Slow Cooker Recipes
How to Cook Chicken in a Crock Pot
Simply mix a few primary herbs and spices, rub them all around the rooster (I even season contained in the cavity and beneath the pores and skin on the breasts), add the onion and rooster to the sluggish cooker, and prepare dinner on excessive for 4-5 hours. That’s it!
Once the rooster is completed, it’s flavorful sufficient to eat by itself as the principle dish, or you’ll be able to incorporate it into one thing else like pasta, rooster salad, rooster pot pie, or a casserole (I’ve listed some of my favourite concepts beneath). You don’t want something fancy, we use a very basic crock pot that may be bought on Amazon for about $40.
Another nice trick (that I discovered from a pal!) is that after you decide off the nice rooster meat you’ll be able to leave the bones in the crock pot to make some stock—extra on that beneath.
Wow!! Mind blown! Thank you a lot for this recipe. I needed to name my mother and my mother-in-law about this recipe. The rooster is completely cooked. We are cooking the inventory proper now and I’ll make do-it-yourself noodles to go together with it. I’m a trainer and mother of 4 who likes to prepare dinner genuine dishes. Way to go!
The Best Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot Recipe
I’ve tried a ridiculous quantity of crockpot recipes, and that is the most effective (and best) approach to make a rotisserie model rooster that is fall-off-the bone scrumptious.
The Best Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 234
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 7g44%
Vitamin A 680IU14%
Vitamin C 4.5mg5%
* Percent Daily Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
Some useful ideas from readers:
- If you utilize boneless skinless rooster breasts in this recipe, you’ll want so as to add some water to the dish earlier than cooking, in any other case they might come out dry.
- You might additionally prepare dinner a small turkey breast with this recipe; place it breast facet down.
- You can prepare dinner this on low (for instance, for those who’re going to be at work all day and also you need it to prepare dinner when you’re gone) for those who begin it first on excessive for an hour.
- If you do the Overnight Chicken Stock in the Crockpot you should utilize a hand immersion blender to mix up all of the veggies in the inventory (after taking out the pores and skin and bones) so there’s no waste.
Crock Pot Whole Chicken FAQ
How Long to Cook Chicken in a Crockpot?
For a typical 3-4 pound rooster, you’ll wish to prepare dinner in your sluggish cooker for about 4-5 hours on excessive. Timing might fluctuate based mostly on the scale of the chicken in addition to your particular person sluggish cooker, nevertheless it shouldn’t take longer than 5 hours to achieve 165 levels.
Cooking Tip: Try to not raise the lid throughout prepare dinner time, as you’ll wish to maintain the warmth in. Once it’s about executed, you’ll be able to then verify for doneness with a thermometer to see if it’s reached the suitable temperature.
Can I Cook a Frozen Whole Chicken?
Due to meals security causes, you shouldn’t prepare dinner a frozen entire rooster in the sluggish cooker. Make positive to thaw it out fully earlier than cooking (see how to safely defrost meat for more information).
The very best approach to defrost meat is in the fridge in a single day.
- A small rooster (5 kilos or much less) normally can defrost in 24 hours or much less
- A big entire rooster can take 2-3 days to securely defrost in a fridge
Is It Safe to Cook a Whole Chicken in a Slow Cooker?
Absolutely. You at all times wish to be sure to prepare dinner the entire rooster on excessive warmth for at the very least the primary hour (for those who additionally plan to prepare dinner on low). Since we’re cooking it on excessive your complete time for this recipe, it’s completely protected.
Should I Add Water?
There is not any want so as to add water because the rooster will create its personal juices whereas cooking. Adding water will simply produce a soggy rooster in the top.
How to Get Brown, Crispy Skin
If you’re a fan of crispy rooster pores and skin, you’ll be able to nonetheless obtain this by inserting the rooster on a rimmed baking sheeting after it’s executed and inserting it beneath the broiler for about 4-5 minutes. Be positive to let the rooster relaxation for 10 minutes earlier than serving.
How to Remove Meat from a Whole Chicken
With this recipe, the meat mainly falls off the bone as soon as it’s executed. But because the rooster will probably be highly regarded, you have to be cautious to not burn your self whereas getting as a lot meat off of the rooster as doable. Here are some ideas:
- Use tongs and a fork to take away the big elements of the rooster (thighs, legs, wings) from the sluggish cooker and place them on a platter/chopping board individually to allow them to cool briefly.
- Run your fingers (or a spoon) beneath every breast to separate from the rib bones after which take away the meat in one piece.
- Trim the big elements if want to serve them entire, or carve off items of meat and put aside. Throw any pores and skin/fats/bones again in the crock pot as you go.
- Next, take away the carcass from the sluggish cooker and place it on the platter/chopping board. When cool sufficient, use a fork and your fingers to select off each little piece of meat and place in a bowl or storage container. The little bits are nice for making rooster salad, soups, enchiladas, and so forth.! Put something aside from meat again in the crock pot.
How to Make Chicken Stock
I’m so glad I discovered about this from a pal of mine years in the past. Once you’re executed selecting off all of the meat, throw the carcass and bones again into the crock pot so that you could make chicken stock. It’s a nice approach to not waste any half of the rooster.
I normally begin the rooster inventory after dinner by filling the sluggish cooker to the highest with water after which including no matter I’ve readily available … bay leaf, carrot, celery, onion, parsley, and/or thyme. Even if I’m lacking parsley or celery I nonetheless make it anyway, and it at all times seems simply tremendous. I maintain it on low all evening after which in the morning, I pressure it into wide-mouth jars to retailer in the freezer (the pictured jars have shoulders and are usually not wide-mouth). It works nice and couldn’t be simpler!