To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s greatest and most essential tales delivered to your inbox day-after-day at 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe here.
Hello and welcome to Daily Crunch for August 18, 2021! Good information up high: A giant welcome to Kate Park, who lately joined the TechCrunch family. She’s serving to develop our protection of Asia, with a particular eye on South Korea. Make certain to follow her on Twitter and say hey.
Now let’s discuss Apple and crypto and startups! — Alex
The TechCrunch Top 3
- Apple underneath hearth: Apple’s not having the world’s greatest day, retreating on a controversial browser design choice whereas additionally coming underneath recent criticism for its anti-CSAM system that, it seems, suffers from hash collisions. Not certain what which means? Our own Zack Whittaker has you covered.
- Good news from crypto: In the wake of Coinbase’s direct itemizing, we’ve seen world enterprise capitalists put money into a lot of crypto exchanges. Raising cash isn’t a nasty signal for any know-how area of interest. But the excellent news from cryptoland is extra intensive than simply enterprise exercise. TechCrunch explores.
- T-Mobile hacked: The attainable T-Mobile hack that we shared in Daily Crunch lately is actual — and impacts tens of tens of millions of shoppers. As TechCrunch notes, that is the “fifth time that T-Mobile was hacked in recent years.” Not good.
Our latest TechCruncher has been exhausting at work, which implies we are able to spotlight a few of her reporting already. Here’s Park on South Korean secondhand market Danggeun Market and its recent $162 million round that values the company at $2.7 billion.
Before we dive into the funding spherical rundown, Mayfield investor Navin Chaddha wants to know what happened to dangerous enterprise capital bets. His essay is a response to a specific piece from The Information. We’ve explored the idea earlier than, however Chaddha’s notes are effectively value studying.
Now, the remainder of at present’s key startup information:
- APIs are big business: So massive the truth is, that API-delivered startups aren’t the one corporations elevating cash off the mannequin of constructing developer-friendly companies. Postman simply raised $225 million at a $5.6 billion valuation to assist different builders construct APIs. So that different builders can extra simply plug into know-how merchandise. Postman competes with Stoplight and Kong, amongst others.
- Worm protein cometh: Food tech is neat. Who doesn’t like that startups are engaged on all kinds of different proteins, proper? Raising cows is trash for the surroundings, and everyone knows it. But what about bugs? Beta Hatch simply raised $10 million for its insect-focused protein work. Perhaps the longer term is crunchy.
- KaiPod bets on tiny schools: One piece of the 2020 and 2021 growth in edtech startup exercise entails pods, or “micro-schools.” Per our personal Natasha Mascarenhas, Boston-based KaiPod is betting that the mannequin is right here to remain and is specializing in the homeschool market to start out.
- Middle-income fintech? One neat component of the world of fintech has been using monetary know-how to scale back the price of monetary companies and convey extra money-management tooling to underserved communities. One shouldn’t be doing that. Instead, the corporate is constructing fintech for the center class. The startup desires to construct an “all-in-one” resolution, Mary Ann Azevedo stories.
- Planning for a wet future: That’s what FloodMapp is doing, per Danny Crichton. The startup, primarily based in Australia, “is aiming to wash out the old approaches to hydrology and predictive analytics and put in place a much more modern approach to help emergency managers and citizens know when the floods are coming.” Once you recognize what’s coming, you may put together, goes the thought.
- More venture wagers on no-code: The newest service hoping to take no-code app growth mainstream is Stacker. You may have heard of them. Ron Miller stories that the corporate simply landed $20 million from a16z in its Series A spherical. As with another companies, Stacker lets customers flip spreadsheets into apps. (Some startups are taking the opposite approach, notably.)
- Today in nice startup names, RaRa Delivery just raised $3.25 million. The Indonesian startup desires to convey same-day supply to its dwelling market. Sequoia Capital India’s Surge program and East Ventures led the spherical.
How to ascertain a well being tech startup advisory board
Most startups might use an advisory board, however in well being tech, it’s a core requirement.
Founders in search of to innovate on this space have a novel want for mentors who’ve expertise navigating laws, elevating capital and managing R&D, to call just some areas.
Based on his personal expertise, Patrick Frank, co-founder and COO of PatientPartner, shared some very particular concepts about who to recruit, the place to search out them and how one can match them into your cap desk.
“You want to leverage these individuals so you are able to focus on the full view of the company to ensure it is something that both the market and investors want at scale,” says Frank.
(Extra Crunch is our membership program, which helps founders and startup groups get forward. You can sign up here.)
Big Tech Inc.
- Twitter wants developers to build for its live-audio product: Twitter Spaces is not any passing fad on the social media big, it seems. Twitter is including Spaces to its lately rebuilt API, permitting exterior builders to increase its capabilities. Frankly, we predict Twitter Spaces are fairly neat, so it is a welcome piece of reports.
- Amazon invests in India: In the type of a $40 million Series C for Bangalore-based monetary companies startup smallcase. When we take into consideration tech megacompanies which can be energetic buyers, Amazon isn’t excessive on the listing, making this transaction extra notable than most company enterprise offers.
TechCrunch Experts: Growth Marketing
TechCrunch desires you to advocate progress entrepreneurs who’ve experience in website positioning, social, content material writing and extra! If you’re a progress marketer, move this survey alongside to your purchasers; we’d like to listen to about why they beloved working with you.
If you’re interested in how these surveys are shaping our protection, try this interview Anna Heim did with Ascendant co-founder Gus Ferguson and accomplice Alyssa Crankshaw, “For British agency Ascendant, growth marketing is much more than a set of tactics.”
Join Danny Crichton on Thursday, August 19, at 2 p.m. PDT/5 p.m. EDT for a Twitter Spaces interview with Sukhinder Singh Cassidy, creator of “Choose Possibility: Take Risks and Thrive (Even When You Fail).”
TechCrunch Disrupt 2021
It’s nearly that point when startup followers from all over the world collect at our annual convention, Disrupt, which shall be held just about once more this yr. Join the community September 21-23 to develop your horizons and your community with founders and CEOs of Coinbase, Dapper Labs, GitLab, Canva and extra. Attend for less than $100, or you may get a free Innovator Pass if you’re one of many first 10 individuals to register with promo code DAILYCRUNCHFREE. But you’ll wish to hurry — it’s first come, first served, and as soon as they’re gone, they’re gone!