To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s largest and most essential tales delivered to your inbox every single day at 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe here.
Hello and welcome to Daily Crunch for July 29, 2021. Between the IPO cycle and earnings it has been fairly the day. And Nikola’s founder was indicted on three counts of fraud. It’s busy! Let’s get into it! — Alex
The TechCrunch Top 3 (OK, 4, however it’s about Scarlett Johansson)
- Nikola founder indicted on fraud charges: From the you noticed this coming recordsdata, former Nikola CEO and strolling bottle of Mountain Dew Trevor Milton was indicted on three counts of fraud. Per the federal indictment unsealed by the U.S. lawyer’s workplace in Manhattan on Thursday, the previous exec “engaged in a fraudulent scheme to deceive retail investors.” Not an incredible day for SPACs, frankly.
- Microsoft may invest in hotel unicorn OYO: Here’s an odd one. Microsoft, the U.S. software program big, might spend money on OYO, the India-based motels startup that raised capital from SoftBanok’s first Vision Fund. Why? Per our reporting, there could also be some kind of cloud deal within the combine. Both events are staying mum for now.
- The Latin American startup market is hitting its stride: On the again of an epic growth in enterprise funding, founders in Latin America are lastly getting their due, buyers instructed TechCrunch. Between domestically sourced capital, exterior funds and economies within the area which can be more and more digitally enabled, it’s a bullish time to construct within the area.
- Scarlett Johansson files suit over Disney+ ‘Black Widow’ release: The actress alleges Disney breached its settlement together with her when it launched the Marvel flick on streaming service Disney+ on the identical time it landed in theaters. Johansson’s attorneys say Disney is “hiding behind COVID-19,” however with the delta variant being very a lot an issue, we should say we’d choose to watch our Avengers movies from our couches in the intervening time.
- Tenderly wants more dApps: Decentralized apps, or dApps, are an enormous class within the bigger blockchain economic system. And Tenderly, a startup that simply raised $15.3 million, desires of us to construct extra of them. The firm has constructed a “a developer platform for Ethereum devs to monitor and test the smart contracts that power their decentralized apps.”
- Online grocery continues to attract capital: This time it’s Merqueo, which operates an on-demand service in Latin America. Between grocery supply and so-called “instant” grocery startups, tons of capital is discovering its means into the enterprise of bringing meals to of us’ homes. Merqueo simply raised a $50 million Series C for its efforts.
- La Haus raises $100M for its online real estate marketplace: La Haus is a Colombian startup, as is Merqueo. See, we instructed you that Latin America was busy! In this case, La Haus raised $50 million in fairness capital and $50 million in debt. Per our reporting, the corporate noticed “transactions conducted on its Mexico portal climb by nearly 10x in the second quarter of 2021 compared to the 2020 second quarter.” Not dangerous!
- More money for mental health: Talkiatry introduced earlier immediately that it has raised a $20 million Series A led by Left Lane Capital. The startup desires to make psychiatry providers obtainable by way of insurance coverage suppliers and has partnered with a bunch of them. Anything to make psychological well being care simpler and cheaper for shoppers is sweet by us.
- Hello Divorce raises $2M so your divorce won’t cost $2M: Getting divorced is about as a lot enjoyable as placing damaged glass in your shoe whereas taking a hike. At least that’s what our associates have instructed us. Hello Divorce desires to make the entire course of higher. Given that divorce is one thing that occurs reasonably typically to a lot of of us, it definitely gained’t lack for TAM.
- Pangea raises $2M for its student labor marketplace: Hailing from Providence, Rhode Island, Pangea introduced a seed spherical immediately. The firm’s service connects digitally savvy faculty college students with companies on the lookout for freelance expertise. GMV is rising on the firm, and now it has extra capital in its accounts than ever. Let’s see the way it grows the remainder of the yr.
- Odoo sells $215M of its stock: Now value over €2 billion, Odoo, an open-source enterprise administration software program play, is the primary unicorn out of Wallonia, a area in Belgium. The spherical was purely secondary, notably. The firm supplies most of its software program without cost, whereas charging for sure options.
- Employee-success startup CultureAmp raises $100M: The startup, which was based to let corporations ballot their staff, is now value $150 million. You can assume of it as administration analytics, offering “turnover prediction and team goal tracking,” per our personal reporting.
- In case you have been on the lookout for one thing solely completely different, we current a review of Nothing’s new earpods.
Livestream e-commerce: Why corporations and types must tune in
This yr, livestream viewers in China are projected to spend greater than $60 billion on digital buying experiences the place they’ll work together with influencers in actual time.
Promoting all the pieces from cosmetics to meals, social media stars use Taobao, TikTook and different platforms to tout merchandise and reply dwell questions.
On Taobao’s Single’s Day Global Shopping Festival in 2020, livestreams racked up $6 billion in gross sales, twice as a lot income because the yr prior.
Sensing a development, Western startups are getting in on the motion, with corporations like Whatnot and PopShop.Live elevating rounds to construct out their infrastructure. Looking ahead, Alanna Gregory, senior world director at Afterpay, says she foresees 4 main traits:
- SaaS streaming instruments.
- Host discovery and outreach instruments.
- Host marketplaces and businesses.
“For brands, SaaS streaming tools will be the most impactful way to take advantage of livestream commerce trends,” Gregory writes in an Extra Crunch visitor publish. “All of this will be incredibly transformative.”
(Extra Crunch is our membership program, which helps founders and startup groups get forward. You can sign up here.)
Big Tech Inc.
We went a bit lengthy on the startup aspect of issues, so let’s be transient relating to Big Tech.
- First up, Amazon’s FireTV Cube now supports Zoom. Everything ought to assist Zoom. Zoom is sweet. So, it’s each unsurprising and welcome that Amazon is constructing out larger integration with the video chat supplier.
- Next, Facebook’s next product shall be a collab with Ray-Ban to construct sensible glasses. How you’re feeling about this bit of information will depend upon what you consider Facebook, however as a former Google Glass fan I suppose I’m keen to attend to make judgment.
- PayPal has a super app in the wings, a service that may embody messaging. Do we would like this? I don’t know, however tremendous apps — cellular functions that embody a variety of providers in a single bundle — are large world wide, so why not right here in U.S. as properly?
TechCrunch Experts: Growth Marketing
We’re reaching out to startup founders to inform us who they flip to when they need probably the most up-to-date development advertising practices. Fill out the survey here.
Read one of the testimonials we’ve obtained beneath!
Marketer: Scott Graham
Recommended by: Heather Larrabee, CMO, FORM
Testimonial: “He was referred to us and blew our socks off from his initial analysis. He’s the rare growth adviser expert at strategy and execution. He’s a servant leader, a systems thinker, integrates with the team with empathy and curiosity like he’s an internal teammate, brings a wealth of cutting-edge knowledge, and a stable of incredible partners and resources. He runs with the best and the brightest, but he’s the first one on and the last one off for the day, putting in the time to make things great. He has an uncanny ability to communicate complex concepts and make them accessible for all audiences, and he’s been a foundational game changer for our business and many others.”