The Buffalo Sabres are on the clock. Again.
For the second time in the final 4 years, the Sabres maintain the No. 1 decide in the NHL Draft after successful the 2021 NHL Draft Lottery on Wednesday.
It’s not overly stunning in that Buffalo held the most effective odds (16.6 %), of retaining the highest choice in the 2021 NHL Draft. In reality, after the night-time draw, the one change in the draft order was the NHL’s latest membership, the Seattle Kraken, leapfrogging over the Anaheim Ducks for the No. 2 decide.
The 2021 draft is scheduled for July 23-24. The first spherical of the draft will likely be held Friday evening, with rounds 2-7 on Saturday.
Barring any trades, the top-16 draft order (high 15 in the primary spherical) in the 2021 NHL Draft is now set.
As the Stanley Cup playoffs are nonetheless underway, the underside 16 continues to be up in the air. With the outcomes of the playoffs predicted out, right here’s how the primary spherical of the draft might look.
- (Getty Images, Matthew Murnaghan/Hockey Canada Images, USA Hockey) https://photographs.daznservices.com/di/library/sporting_news/ca/64/beniers-power-hughes-052221-getty-matthew-murnaghan-hockey-canada-images-usa-hockey-ftrjpeg_1hiuvzs8hqlw01latnaxu6a98y.jpeg?t=-1776677511&w=500&high quality=80
- NHL mock draft 2021, model 2.0
- 1. Buffalo Sabres: Owen Power, D, University of Michigan (NCAA)
- 2. Seattle Kraken: Luke Hughes, D, USNTDP (USHL)
- 3. Anaheim Ducks: Matthew Beniers, C, University of Michigan (NCAA)
- 4. New Jersey Devils: Brandt Clarke, D, Barrie Colts (OHL)
- 5. Columbus Blue Jackets: Simon Edvinsson, D, Frolunda (SHL)
- 6. Detroit Red Wings: Jesper Wallstedt, G, Lulea HF (SHL)
- 7. San Jose Sharks: William Eklund, C, Djurgardens (SHL)
- 8. Los Angeles Kings: Kent Johnson, LW, University of Michigan (NCAA)
- 9. Vancouver Canucks: Mason McTavish, C, Peterborough Petes (OHL)
- 10. Ottawa Senators: Dylan Guenther, LW/RW, Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
- 11. Arizona Coyotes: Pick forfeited
- 12. Chicago Blackhawks: Sebastian Cossa, G, Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
- 13. Calgary Flames: Fabian Lysell, LW, Lulea HF (SHL)
- 14. Philadelphia Flyers: Chaz Lucius, C, USNTDP (USHL)
- 15. Dallas Stars: Isak Rosen, LW/RW, Leksands (SHL)
- 16. New York Rangers: Aatu Raty, C, Karpat (Liiga)
- 17. Montreal Canadiens: Cole Sillinger, C, Sioux Falls Stampede (USHL)
- 18. St. Louis Blues: Corson Ceulemans, D, Brooks Bandits (AJHL)
- 19. Nashville Predators: Zachary Bolduc, C, Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL)
- 20. New Jersey Devils (through NYI): Nikita Chibrikov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)
- 21. Edmonton Oilers: Brennan Othmann, LW, Flint Firebirds (OHL)
- 22. Minnesota Wild: Matthew Coronato, LW, Chicago Steel (USHL)
- 23. Columbus Blue Jackets (through TOR): Francesco Pinelli, C, Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
- 24. Detroit Red Wings (through WSH): Sasha Pastujov, LW, USNTDP (USHL)
- 25. Columbus Blue Jackets (through TBL): Simon Robertsson, RW, Skelleftea J20 (J20 Nationell)
- 26. Minnesota Wild (through PIT): Daniil Chayka, D, Guelph Storm (OHL)
- 27. Florida Panthers: Xavier Bourgault, C, Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL)
- 28. Vegas Golden Knights: Benjamin Gaudreau, G, Sarnia Sting (OHL)
- 29. Winnipeg Jets: Carson Lambos, D, Winnipeg Ice (WHL)
- 30. Boston Bruins: Zachary L’Heureux, C/LW, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
- 31. Carolina Hurricanes: Logan Stankoven, C/RW, Kamloops Blazers (WHL)
- 32. Colorado Avalanche: Oskar Olausson, RW, HV71 (SHL)
NHL mock draft 2021, model 2.0
1. Buffalo Sabres: Owen Power, D, University of Michigan (NCAA)
With the primary decide of the 2021 draft, it’s laborious to think about the Sabres not biting on Power. The 6-5 rearguard is a towering presence that’s an offensive, cell addition to any backend. While not a real consensus No. 1 decide like we have seen in previous drafts, he must be a core piece of the Sabres as they embark on regardless of the future holds for them. Imagining a top-two of Power and 2018 first-overall decide Rasmus Dahlin must be sufficient to get followers optimistic about this choice.
2. Seattle Kraken: Luke Hughes, D, USNTDP (USHL)
The lone upward mover in the lottery, the Kraken get the No. 2 decide and the choice might be a little bit of a wild card. Without a prospect pool, Seattle is ranging from scratch so, to mark their first-ever draft decide, Hughes could be an ideal match. One of the youthful gamers in this class, the defender has a particularly excessive ceiling because of his wonderful transition sport and playmaking. Hughes would step in as a foundational piece for the Kraken — and establishing a rivalry along with his brother, Quinn Hughes of the Canucks, wouldn’t harm both.
3. Anaheim Ducks: Matthew Beniers, C, University of Michigan (NCAA)
The first ahead off the board, the Ducks fall again to the third choice after the lottery however might very nicely land the participant that they need. Beniers has taken many abruptly this 12 months along with his standout efficiency at the University of Michigan, plus worldwide appearances at the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship and Men’s World Championship. A one-two punch of Trevor Zegras and Beniers might in the future quickly be the most effective in the league.
4. New Jersey Devils: Brandt Clarke, D, Barrie Colts (OHL)
This choice might show very tough for the Devils. On the one hand, William Eklund already has chemistry with 2020-draftee Alexander Holtz. On the opposite, New Jersey already has Clarke’s brother Graham. Ultimately, they select Clarke right here after touchdown Jack Hughes, Holtz and Dawson Mercer in the final two drafts. Clarke is arguably essentially the most clever participant in this draft, placing his play on show not too long ago at the under-18 championship. This might be a house run for the Devils.
DRAFT STOCK WATCH: 10 risers after 2021 U18 World Championship
5. Columbus Blue Jackets: Simon Edvinsson, D, Frolunda (SHL)
The Blue Jackets have a handful of promising younger forwards on their depth chart, so with the information of Seth Jones testing free company, Columbus would possibly simply be trying at their future top-line defender in Edvinsson. The rearguard is one other cell defenseman who has proven that he can play in opposition to males in the SHL. His large, 6-5 body will possible be engaging to many groups, so the Blue Jackets snag him now with two picks later in the primary spherical as nicely.
6. Detroit Red Wings: Jesper Wallstedt, G, Lulea HF (SHL)
If there was a basic supervisor to select a goalie in the highest 10, it might be Steve Yzerman, proper? With some wonderful prospects at ahead and protection, the Red Wings look to between the pipes, touchdown their goaltender of the longer term. Wallstedt simply spent the season in the SHL, even stealing the beginning job in Lulea for a time. For a draft-eligible, that’s unparalleled. Down the road, this might be the steal of the draft.
7. San Jose Sharks: William Eklund, C, Djurgardens (SHL)
While they most likely would have appreciated one of many high 4 defenders to fall, the Sharks, who want some enchancment at all positions, take the most effective participant accessible. Eklund is a reputation that might be anyplace in the top-10, however San Jose must be pleased with him right here. Like Wallstedt, he spent the season in the SHL taking part in top-six minutes. One of the extra NHL-ready gamers, his offensive potential and reliability in his personal finish might see him carrying teal sooner moderately than later.
8. Los Angeles Kings: Kent Johnson, LW, University of Michigan (NCAA)
The league’s high prospect pool will get even richer right here, touchdown some of the artistic gamers in the category. Imagining the misleading winger with Quinton Byfield or Alex Turcotte in the NHL ought to have the Kings’ brass extremely excited for the longer term. Johnson has a number of the finest mitts in the category and impressed transferring seamlessly from the BCHL to school hockey with the University of Michigan. Los Angeles is constructing a scary group for the longer term, and Johnson might be a key piece in that.
9. Vancouver Canucks: Mason McTavish, C, Peterborough Petes (OHL)
The Canucks have some wonderful wingers and stable defenders in the ranks, however what they might use is one other potential top-six middle to in the future work behind Elias Pettersson. McTavish is an enormous physique that has wonderful puckhandling expertise and is a really good playmaker. He appears robust taking part in abroad in Switzerland this 12 months and introduced that to his World Under-18 efficiency. This might be a superb match for the Canucks.
10. Ottawa Senators: Dylan Guenther, LW/RW, Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
The Senators play the ready sport right here — ready for whoever drops to them at this spot. In this case, they might win large with Guenther. The left winger is without doubt one of the high forwards accessible in this class, bringing a extremely aggressive angle to his capacity to drive play. He excels in transition and could be a superb piece of the puzzle that they’re constructing in Ottawa. Pierre Dorion and firm must be ecstatic if the winger fell to them right here.
FCHOCKEY: Subscribe now for full draft access
11. Arizona Coyotes: Pick forfeited
The Arizona Coyotes’ first-round choice in the 2021 NHL Draft has been forfeited as a result of group breaking the NHL’s mix protocol.
12. Chicago Blackhawks: Sebastian Cossa, G, Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
While they miss out on the Wallstedt sweepstakes, the Blackhawks get a really promising comfort prize. The WHL netminder has NHL measurement at 6-6 and was virtually excellent all through the shortened 2020-21 season. Chicago has some wonderful skaters in their system, however they lack a goalie of the longer term. Cossa might be the reply.
13. Calgary Flames: Fabian Lysell, LW, Lulea HF (SHL)
The Flames might use some pure talent — enter Lysell. The artful winger oozes talent, because of his nice pace and fast palms. Lysell is a participant that may take over a sport when he desires to, carrying his group’s offense. The prospect had a stable season, regardless of minimal minutes at the SHL degree. He was Sweden’s finest ahead at the U18 championship and might be an excellent match in Calgary.
14. Philadelphia Flyers: Chaz Lucius, C, USNTDP (USHL)
The Flyers add arguably the most effective finisher in the category. Despite an injury-riddled season, the NTDP pivot put collectively a powerful marketing campaign and confirmed off his scoring prowess. His capacity to get to the high-danger areas is spectacular, and his shot is high-end. Philadelphia has an underrated group of younger expertise already beginning to affect the NHL and Lucius might be an enormous addition to that.
15. Dallas Stars: Isak Rosen, LW/RW, Leksands (SHL)
The Stars decide for expertise right here and so they get it in spades with Rosen. The explosive winger could lack some measurement, however he’s one of many extra dynamic forwards in this class. Rosen has a nostril for offense and he put that on show at the U18 worlds, serving to to guide Sweden to a bronze medal.
16. New York Rangers: Aatu Raty, C, Karpat (Liiga)
For some motive, this decide appears nearly inevitable. The Rangers have one of many high younger teams in the NHL and they’re trending up. After touchdown Kaapo Kakko and Alexis Lafreniere in the final two drafts, taking an opportunity on Aatu Raty – as soon as the projected No. 1 decide – would possibly simply be value it. Raty is a divisive prospect, with some figuring out this season as a one-off and others saying he’ll bounce again. He might be value that probability right here for New York.
17. Montreal Canadiens: Cole Sillinger, C, Sioux Falls Stampede (USHL)
Unless Carey Price steals Round 2 in opposition to the Jets, that is possible the place the Canadiens will likely be selecting. After ousting the Maple Leafs, having a participant like Sillinger fall into their laps could be the icing on the cake for Montreal this postseason. Sillinger is an electrical, offensive presence and might be a big addition to the younger core that the group has been constructing.
18. St. Louis Blues: Corson Ceulemans, D, Brooks Bandits (AJHL)
The Blues prospect pool is dwindling, because of quite a few graduations over time. To assist fill it again up, taking the most effective participant accessible is the best choice and that must be Ceulemans. The defenseman is a bodily presence with an offensive thoughts, and his defensive sport has proven enhancements over the 12 months. Having Ceulemans and 2020 first-rounder Jake Neighbours in the system is an efficient begin at restocking the cabinet.
19. Nashville Predators: Zachary Bolduc, C, Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL)
The Predators nabbed netminder Iaroslav Askarov final 12 months, and now it’s time to look to the offense. Zachary Bolduc is in the dialog as the highest participant from the QMJHL, and his mixture of two-way play and ending capacity makes him a particularly intriguing choice at this spot. With some stable defensive prospects and a few high-end younger gamers on offense in the system, Bolduc might convey a mix of offensive and reliability to assist fill out the longer term lineup.
20. New Jersey Devils (through NYI): Nikita Chibrikov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)
Having already landed Clarke at No. 4, the Devils can flip their consideration to the ahead corps, taking a future chief in Chibrikov. New Jersey’s future top-six is trying dominant and he might add to that with additional firing energy, fast pace and management. The Devils aren’t any strangers to deciding on Russians, both, taking Shakir Mukhamadullin and Daniil Misyul the final two years.
21. Edmonton Oilers: Brennan Othmann, LW, Flint Firebirds (OHL)
Othmann has proven that he has top-of-the-line pictures in this complete class. He additionally performs with an edge to his sport and is fearless. It’s not laborious to think about him taking part in up with Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl, including a high-end finisher to the Oilers’ top-six. With two of the most effective gamers in the world manning the middle positions, why not fill out the top-six with much more offense.
22. Minnesota Wild: Matthew Coronato, LW, Chicago Steel (USHL)
The Wild have loaded up on talent all through the previous two drafts. Be that Matthew Boldy, Marco Ross or Marat Khusnutdinov, this group is constructing an thrilling future. Coronato had a historic season in the USHL, exhibiting a capability to place the puck in the online and play with a excessive motor. Minnesota is growing some of the thrilling ahead crops in the league and including Coronato could be a superb addition to that.
23. Columbus Blue Jackets (through TOR): Francesco Pinelli, C, Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
With the primary decide, the Blue Jackets landed a projected top-four defender. Now, they will add a possible No. 2 middle to the combination. Pinelli is a particularly clever playmaker exhibiting a capability to drive to the online and create offense. With Columbus in want of higher-end expertise in their prospect pool, Pinelli and Edvinsson go a protracted option to serving to that — and so they nonetheless have one choice left.
24. Detroit Red Wings (through WSH): Sasha Pastujov, LW, USNTDP (USHL)
After pulling the set off on the highest goaltender of the category, the Red Wings look to skaters by including the close by NTDP’s Pastujov. The winger is without doubt one of the most affected person gamers in the category, with a capability to point out up clutch in video games. While he lacks high-end skating, he makes up for it with a capability to sluggish the play all the way down to his pace. He’s a artful ahead that might be feeding Filip Zadina and Lucas Raymond the puck very quickly.
25. Columbus Blue Jackets (through TBL): Simon Robertsson, RW, Skelleftea J20 (J20 Nationell)
You’ve landed a possible top-four defender and a top-six middle, so why not look to the wings now? Robertsson is a dependable, two-way ahead with wonderful imaginative and prescient. He has a extremely aggressive drive and could be very constant. Likely extra of a bottom-nine winger, he provides a future all-situations participant to the combination in what could be a profitable first spherical for Columbus.
26. Minnesota Wild (through PIT): Daniil Chayka, D, Guelph Storm (OHL)
With their second decide in the primary spherical, the Wild can now look to protection, including high Russian defender Chayka. The rearguard hasn’t had the most effective season with the OHL marketing campaign cancelled, however in 2019-20 he made a powerful case as top-of-the-line defensemen in his class. Chayka is a dependable, two-way defender with a protracted attain. With a lot talent in the system up entrance, including Chayka will assist to help them from the again finish.
27. Florida Panthers: Xavier Bourgault, C, Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL)
Bourgault might find yourself being a steal at this level in the draft, and the Panthers ought to leap throughout it. An extraordinarily clever pivot, he’s an offensive presence that’s fearless in his drive to the high-danger areas. Florida would strongly take into account a defender right here after taking Anton Lundell final 12 months, however Bourgault must be too good to go up in this spot.
28. Vegas Golden Knights: Benjamin Gaudreau, G, Sarnia Sting (OHL)
The Golden Knights have been a outstanding group to begin their NHL expertise, from the highest degree to their prospect pool. With some wonderful items in place up entrance and on protection, now could be the time to go for the goaltender. Benjamin Gaudreau misplaced his season as a result of OHL cancellation, however in 2019-20 he stood out as a possible first rounder. Then, at the U18 worlds, he was the goaltender of the event in serving to Canada to a gold medal. Three goalies in the primary spherical? Crazier issues have occurred.
29. Winnipeg Jets: Carson Lambos, D, Winnipeg Ice (WHL)
Lambos’ season was delayed with the WHL so he headed abroad to Finland the place we didn’t see the identical man from 2019-20. He then performed simply two video games for the Winnipeg Ice earlier than struggling a season-ending leg damage; nonetheless, it’s a must to think about the Jets are enthusiastic about this Winnipeg-born participant. Once thought-about a contender for No. 1, this will likely be one of many extra intriguing picks to comply with in the years to come back.
30. Boston Bruins: Zachary L’Heureux, C/LW, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
Is there a variety in this mock draft that makes extra sense? The Bruins might be selecting the inheritor obvious to Brad Marchand by deciding on L’Heureux. While there are issues about his self-discipline and off-puck efforts, if there’s a group that may take that and mildew it right into a star, it’s Boston. L’Heureux has high-end offensive talent in his ending capacity and has a knack for getting beneath an opponent’s pores and skin. Remind you of anybody?
31. Carolina Hurricanes: Logan Stankoven, C/RW, Kamloops Blazers (WHL)
Stankoven must be the next choice than this, however there’s going to be some issues over his 5-7 stature. The Hurricanes have proven that they draft talent whatever the bundle it comes in. In the 2021 NHL Draft, that’s Stankoven. One of essentially the most aggressive gamers in the category, he performs laborious each shift and makes up for his measurement with nice skating capacity and a very good shot. This is a really Carolina decide.
32. Colorado Avalanche: Oskar Olausson, RW, HV71 (SHL)
Colorado has chosen Bowen Byram, Alex Newhook, and Justin Barron with their final three first-rounder picks, now it’s time to look to the wings. Olausson is a assured participant that has some pace in his sport, each in his ft and palms. He has a nostril for the high-danger areas and has no downside taking the puck there himself. The Avalanche are going to be a harmful group for years to come back, and Olausson would assist fill out their future secondary scoring.
Josh Bell is a scout and the director of content material for FCHockey.