The 2021 Outfest Fusion QTBIPOC (Queer, Trans, Black, Indigenous and People of Color) Film Festival is about to honor I May Destroy You icon Michaela Coel with the Fusion Achievement Award whereas The United States Vs. Billie Holiday star and Oscar nominee Andra Day will probably be honored with the James Schamus Ally Award on April 17. The hybrid fest will happen April 16-20.
The Fusion Achievement Award, which acknowledges a person who has made a major contribution to LGBTQIA+ tales, arts, and media visibility, will honor Coel’s physique of labor. She is in good firm as earlier recipients of the honour embrace Nisha Ganatra, Angela Robinson, Rose Troche, Wilson Cruz, Alec Mapa, Patrik-Ian Polk, Cheryl Dunye, Brickson Diamond, and Rikki Beadle-Blair.
‘Ginny & Georgia’s Mike Gauyo Teams With Culture Creative And Writ Large To Launch Mentorship Initiative
“Coel’s work in Chewing Gum, I May Destroy You, and more portray complex characters who have helped open the door for more empathetic conversations about the issues facing members of this QTBIPOC community” stated Festival Executive Director, Damien Navarro. “Outfest Fusion believes that honoring one of the most incredible, talented, and inspiring voices and storytellers of our generation will inspire Outfest Fusion’s Black creators, across all mediums, and also send a strong message within the industry that we need to include, support, and finance exponentially more independent voices.”
Musician-turned-actress Day will obtain the James Schamus Ally Award which acknowledges an amazing ally to the LGBTQIA+ neighborhood. Day has been a longtime supporter of the LGBTQ+ neighborhood and lots of have embraced her music “Rise Up” as an anthem for their very own struggles and victories. With her Oscar-nominated portrayal of Billie Holiday in The United States v. Billie Holiday, Outfest Fusion is spotlighting her dedication to capturing all of the lifetime of the titular cultural icon.
In addition to those honorees, Outfest Fusion can even current a wide range of panels and workshops, stay and pre-recorded, for filmmakers and most people to attend all through the five-day pageant. All of the panels will probably be available free beginning April 17 at 6am PDT. See beneath for a whole program.
April 16: 6 PM PDT | Outfest Fusion Opening Night Poetry Showcase
- Join us as we have fun the beginning of this 12 months’s pageant with a digital poetry showcase that’s positive to be uplifting with its theme of pleasure.
- Master of Ceremonies: féi hernandez
- Appearances by: Yosimar Reyes, Tyris Winter, Bella BAHHS, jade Phoenix
April 15: 4 PM PDT | HOW TO MAKE A MOVIE ON YOUR SMARTPHONE WITH LAUREN NEAL
- Have a narrative to inform however don’t know the place to start out? Come be taught instruments and strategies on this crash course on learn how to make high-quality quick movies utilizing what you have already got. Outfest Fusion QTBIPOC Film Festival’s 2020 One Minute Movie Contest winner Lauren Neal offers you skilled strategies and tips for the way to place your concepts in entrance of the digicam. You will go away impressed and able to create your personal movie
April 16: 1 PM PDT | STRETCH THAT BUCK: FILM BUDGETING 101 WITH SEED&SPARK
- How a lot must you crowdfund for? As a lot as you could transfer your undertaking ahead! In this workshop, we’ll educate you learn how to construct a finances, make the most of loans to make up your finances (conceptually in addition to actually), navigate the ask, break down your script, and get artistic with methods to chop prices with out sacrificing your imaginative and prescient.
April 17: 1 PM PDT | EARLY CAREER NETWORKING SESSION
- A movie or TV set is full of quite a few roles, from gaffers to hair stylists to colorists, however there’s not all the time readability on learn how to get these roles. During this workshop, you’ll hear from established business members about how they bought into their fields and what their jobs are actually like. Film professionals of all ranges are inspired to attend. Participants will embrace Barbie Leung, Cinematographer and Camera Department (Hysterical); Jason Orion, Hair Department (Moxie); Marc Kelly, 1st Assistant Director (Summertime); Cheyenne Ford, Art Department (Shiva Baby).
April 18: 3 PM PDT | DOCUMENTARY 101: A GUIDE TO NON-FICTION FILMMAKING WITH PJ RAVAL
- Whether a first-time documentarian or a veteran reality seeker, all of us might use some assist alongside the way in which. PJ Raval (Call Her Ganda, Before You Know It) shares his private journey to creating highly effective documentaries and the assets he’s used to get his concepts onto the display.
April 19: 1 PM PDT | CROWDFUNDING TO BUILD INDEPENDENCE WITH SEED&SPARK
- Most folks take into consideration crowdfunding merely as a fundraising software, however we’re going to point out you the way it’s a lot greater than that. Discover learn how to have a profitable crowdfunding marketing campaign… and profession! You’ll discover ways to discover your viewers, construction your crowdfunding marketing campaign, decide the proper aim and incentives, and extra.
April 19: 3 PM PDT | PRODUCING A PODCAST WITH DOMINO SOUND
- Starting a podcast can appear arduous with not plenty of readability on the place to start out. What kind of podcast ought to or not it’s? What gear must you purchase? What gear are you able to afford? Where must you report? All of those questions and extra will probably be answered on this useful workshop designed to get you began in your podcasting journey with Kenya Denise and Alexandra di Palma from Domino Sound!
April 20: 6 PM PDT | HOW TO CRAFT THE PERFECT PITCH WITH DAVID SIGURANI
- Discover the easiest way to current your undertaking to be able to hook a producer, actor, or govt. Having developed and sat by method too many pitches, queer Latinx producer and inventive govt David Sigurani will work you thru the weather of an plain story pitch. From your story’s world, theme, and tone to your beats and characters, fire up all the required elements to ascertain why you ought to be the one to make the subsequent hit movie or TV collection! Participants on this workshop are inspired to arrange a three-minute pitch of their present undertaking for potential suggestions.
OUTFEST FUSION’S RISING STARS
If you don’t know them but, you’ll quickly. For the second 12 months in a row, Outfest Fusion gathers among the most fun up-and-coming QTBIPOC appearing expertise for a probing dialogue concerning the state of their business, their particular person pathways to success, and their recommendation to younger hopefuls looking for to observe of their footsteps. Despite the onerous street any aspiring actor faces on their method up, and regardless of the previous 12 months of uncertainty, these rising stars all proceed to end up inspiring work. Tune in to listen to how they made it occur! Moderated by David Artavia, Editor in Chief of Out, panelists embraceIan Alexander (Star Trek: Discovery), Sherry Cola (Good Trouble), Shalita Grant (Search Party; You), Harvey Guillén (What We Do within the Shadows), and Vico Ortiz (Vida).
AARP FIRESIDE CHAT
Stars shine brightly, irrespective of their age. A dialog on longevity in a youth centric enterprise. Where a change of surroundings can change the trajectory of a profession and the place persistence can prevail within the high-speed business that’s Hollywood. A dialog about getting old, work and movie.
APRIL 18: 11 AM PDT | YEARNING TO BREATHE FREE: LGBTQIA+ IMMIGRATION & ASYLUM SEEKERS
According to the Williams Institute at UCLA, there are an estimated 289,700 undocumented folks within the United States who determine as LGBTQ+, dealing with distinctive obstacles compounded by discrimination on the premise of sexual orientation or gender identification. Reflected in Outfest Fusion 2021 function movies NOWHERE and CAUGHT, from navigating problems of affection and profession when your authorized standing hangs within the steadiness to defending your rights within the midst of transphobic violence, trafficking, intercourse work, and persecution, it’s clear that the promise etched onto the Statue of Liberty to welcome the huddled plenty doesn’t essentially apply to everybody.
Join these filmmakers together with specialists within the area for an pressing and frank dialogue the place we are going to sort out the problems dealing with queer and trans immigrants and asylum-seekers — from views of coverage, authorized protections, and psychological well being — sharing experiences and assets in a secure and supportive house.”
BUILDING A BETTER NORMAL: A MEDIA ROUNDTABLE
- The solely fixed is change, however how can we make sure that the change that’s coming is inclusive and equitable? As the world navigates the altering media panorama, questions of what will get lined and who has entry to protection are entrance and heart as a brand new regular is outlined. This dialogue will handle the present system and have a look at methods to enhance the house of media journalism.
- Marissa Wallace, VP, BPRS-LA; Director of Multicultural Communications, Rogers & Cowan PMK
- Stephen Macias, EVP, Multicultural Marketing & Communications, Rogers & Cowan PMK
- Latashia DeVeaux, President, BPRS-LA; Talent Relations Consultant, BET Networks
- Valerie Complex, freelance author; Bylines: Variety, The Hollywood Reporter, Collider, Conde Nast, Harper’s Bazaar and lots of others
- Beandrea July, freelance author; Bylines: The Hollywood Reporter, New York Times, NPR, Time, Parade, Level, Cherrypicks, Hyperallergic and lots of others