The 78th Golden Globe Awards will happen this weekend, a bit of later than in previous years. The unofficial kickoff to the “awards season,” they’re nonetheless a great early warmup for this yr’s upcoming’s 93rd Academy Awards, as the Oscars even have been pushed again, to April 25.
Here’s a information to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association movie and tv honors, from how to watch the Golden Globes to different information you want to assist you to dominate your first awards pool of 2021.
- What time are the Golden Globes on in 2021?
- What channel are the Golden Globes on in 2021?
- Who’s internet hosting the Golden Globes in 2021?
- 2021 Golden Globes nominations, predictions
- Best Director: Motion Picture
- Best Screenplay
- Best Animated Feature Film
- Best Foreign Language Film
- Best Original Score
- Best Original Song
- Best Motion Picture: Drama
- Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama
- Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama
- Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
- Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
- Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture
- Best TV Series, Comedy
- Best Actress in a TV Series, Comedy
- Best Actor in a TV Series, Comedy
- Best TV Series, Drama
- Best Actress in a TV Series, Drama
- Best Actor in a TV Series, Drama
- Best TV Movie or Limited-Series
- Best Actress in a Series, Limited-Series, or TV Movie
- Best Actor in a Series, Limited-Series, or TV Movie
- Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Limited-Series, or TV Movie
- Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Limited-Series or TV Movie
What time are the Golden Globes on in 2021?
- Date: Sunday, Feb. 28
- Start time: 8 p.m. ET | 5 p.m. PT
The Golden Globes will run three hours in prime time on Sunday, reside with bi-coastal, twin protection from The Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles and The Rainbow Room from 30 Rockefeller Center in New York.
What channel are the Golden Globes on in 2021?
- TV channel: NBC
- Live stream: NBC.com
The Golden Globes are broadcast reside on NBC to a nationwide viewers. You also can stream the ceremony through NBC.com and the NBC app with proof of cable or satellite tv for pc supplier, or through cord-cutting companies comparable to YouTube TV, Hulu with Live TV and AT&T Now.
Before the principle present, NBC will air a one-hour particular, “Golden Globe Awards Pre-Show”, beginning at 7 p.m. ET, 4 p.m. PT. Earlier Golden Globes purple carpet protection may be seen beginning at 4 p.m. ET, 1 p.m. PT on E! with “Live From E!: Countdown to the Golden Globes.”
Who’s internet hosting the Golden Globes in 2021?
Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, the dynamic comedy duo from “Saturday Night Live” and respectively of “30 Rock” and “Parks & Recreation”, will co-host the occasion collectively for the fourth time, for the primary time since three consecutive duties from 2013 by 2015. They take over the gig once more from five-time host Ricky Gervais. Fey will deal with the New York portion of the present, whereas Poehler might be on the scene in Los Angeles as awards are handed out in particular person however accepted nearly.
2021 Golden Globes nominations, predictions
Below is a full checklist of movie and particular person nominees for the 78th Golden Globe Awards, together with Sporting News’ predictions for all 27 classes.
If you are in search of a Golden Globe Awards pool to be a part of exterior of your small gathering or digital get together the place you may win some cash, DraftKings has a free-entry game with $1,000 in total prizes.
Best Director: Motion Picture
- David Fincher, “Mank”
- Regina King, “One Night in Miami”
- Aaron Sorkin, “The Trial of the Chicago 7”
- Chloe Zhao, “Nomadland”
- Emerald Fennell, “Promising Young Woman”
SN prediction: Zhao. Before she dips into her first Marvel superhero expertise with the much-anticipated “The Eternals”, Zhao, who’s Chinese, ought to change into the primary Asian girl to win greatest director on the Globes. This is a powerful class with two different robust girls, King and Fennell, vs. two veterans in Fincher and Sorkin, however no eligible movie has as a lot buzz as “Nomadland.”
- Emerald Fennell, “Promising Young Woman”
- Jack Fincher, “Mank”
- Aaron Sorkin, “The Trial of the Chicago 7”
- Florian Zeller, Christopher Hampton, “The Father”
- Chloe Zhao, “Nomadland”
SN prediction: Zhao. This is very like Best Director, solely with Sorkin being her greatest competitors. The documentary-style story of “Nomadland” is a superb unique story that includes actual individuals who reside that life.
Best Animated Feature Film
- “The Croods: A New Age”
- “Over the Moon”
SN prediction: “Soul.” The distinctive Pixar story a couple of jazz musician within the afterlife is fueled by a powerful lead efficiency by Jamie Foxx.
Best Foreign Language Film
- “Another Round,” Denmark
- ”La Llorona,” Guatemala/France
- ”The Life Ahead,” Italy
- ”Minari,” USA
- ”Two of Us,” France/USA
SN prediction: “Minari”. The story of a South Korean household emigrating to Nineteen Eighties Arkansas is getting probably the most buzz going into the awards.
Best Original Score
- Alexandre Desplat, “The Midnight Sky”
- Ludwig Goransson, “Tenet”
- James Newton Howard, “News of the World”
- Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor, “Mank”
- Jon Batiste, Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor, “Soul”
SN prediction: Batiste, Ross and Reznor. Batiste, the bandleader on “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” and Reznor, the previous lead singer of Nine Inch Nails, made for an ideal mixture on “Soul.” Reznor and Ross gained right here for “The Social Network” in 2011 and likewise simply gained an Emmy for HBO’s “Watchmen.”
Best Original Song
- “Fight for You,” “Judas and the Black Messiah”
- “Hear My Voice,” “The Trial of the Chicago 7″
- “Io Si (Seen),” “The Life Ahead”
- “Speak Now,” “One Night in Miami”
- “Tigers & Tweed,” “The United States vs. Billie Holiday”
SN prediction: “Speak Now.” It’s a strong tune that captures the spirit of the film, additionally carried out by Aaron Burr in “Hamilton” himself, Leslie Odom Jr., who additionally shines because the legendary Sam Cooke.
Best Motion Picture: Drama
- “The Father”
- “Promising Young Woman”
- “The Trial of the Chicago 7”
SN prediction: “Nomadland.” The Trial of the Chicago 7 and “Mank” are well-received Netflix entries, however Zhao’s two particular person wins ought to carry dwelling the favourite right here, too.
Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama
- Frances McDormand, “Nomadland”
- Viola Davis, “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”
- Vanessa Kirby, “Pieces of a Woman”
- Carey Mulligan, “Promising Young Woman”
- Andra Day, “The United States vs. Billie Holiday”
SN prediction: McDormand. This one is hard to name, as Mulligan, as soon as nominated for “An Education” in 2009, has change into the slight favourite and Davis, who gained for “Fences” in a supporting function in 2016, at all times is a powerful contender. But McDormand, a Globes winner for “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri” in 2018 and an Academy Award winner for “Fargo” in 1997, turns in arguably the best efficiency of her lengthy, nonetheless underrated profession.
Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama
- Chadwick Boseman, “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”
- Riz Ahmed, “The Sound of Metal”
- Anthony Hopkins, “The Father”
- Gary Oldman, “Mank”
- Tahar Rahim, “The Mauritanian”
SN prediction: Boseman. The late actor gone too quickly is not only a worthy sentimental favourite after giving us lasting memorable performances as Jackie Robinson, James Brown, Thurgood Marshall and “Black Panther.” In his closing massive function, Boseman was an absolute powerhouse starring within the movie adaptation of August Wilson’s play.
Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
- “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm”
- “Palm Springs”
- “The Prom”
SN prediction: “Borat”. Although “Palm Springs”, with Cristin Milioti and Andy Samberg, is a private favourite and the filmed model of “Hamilton” captures the musical sensation to a tee, Sacha Baron Cohen’s long-awaited second movie flip because the eponymous Kazakhstani TV persona got here on the excellent time to win over the HFPA.
Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
- Maria Bakalova, “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm”
- Kate Hudson, “Music”
- Michelle Pfeiffer, “French Exit”
- Rosamund Pike, “I Care A Lot”
- Anya Taylor-Joy, “Emma”
SN prediction: Bakalova. Pike brings it per regular and Taylor-Joy is having an enormous yr, however there is no doubt the portrayer of Borat’s fictional daughter was a scene-dominating breakout star.
Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
- Sacha Baron Cohen, “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm”
- James Corden, “The Prom”
- Lin-Manuel Miranda, “Hamilton”
- Dev Patel, “The Personal History of David Copperfield”
- Andy Samberg, “Palm Springs”
SN prediction: Baron Cohen. That’s “Borat” thrice. As he would possibly say, “very nice.” Miranda wants the Oscar, not the Golden Globe, to full EGOT. Samberg is a longshot, however he can be worthy, too.
Best Actor in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture
- Sacha Baron Cohen, “The Trial of the Chicago 7”
- Daniel Kaluuya, “Judas and the Black Messiah”
- Jared Leto, “The Little Things”
- Bill Murray, “On the Rocks”
- Leslie Odom, Jr., “One Night in Miami”
SN prediction: Kaluuya. Look, these 4 different guys of varied abilities had been good, too. But Kaluuya, miscast within the unsuitable class, was an incredible co-lead as Fred Hampton, the betrayed chairman of Black Panther Party’s Chicago chapter.
Best Actress in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture
- Glenn Close, “Hillbilly Elegy”
- Olivia Colman, “The Father”
- Jodie Foster, “The Mauritanian”
- Amanda Seyfried, “Mank”
- Helena Zengel, “News of the World”
SN prediction: Seyfried. The Globes will need to give “Mank” one thing and that is it. Zengel, the 12-year-old German who co-starred with Tom Hanks, is the Anna Paquin- and Tatum O’Neal-like sleeper.
Best TV Series, Comedy
- “Emily in Paris”
- “The Flight Attendant”
- “The Great”
- “Schitt’s Creek”
- “Ted Lasso”
SN prediction: “Schitt’s Creek.” SN loves and might be rooting for “Ted Lasso” most (by far) and “Emily in Paris” least (by far). “The Great” is naughty historic enjoyable and “The Flight Attendant” is a fast-paced darkish comedy. But for one final time, for the primary time on the Globes, let’s pour one out for Moira, Johnny, David and Alexis and everybody’s favourite Canadian feel-good sensation.
Best Actress in a TV Series, Comedy
- Lily Collins, “Emily in Paris”
- Kaley Cuoco, “The Flight Attendant”
- Elle Fanning, “The Great”
- Jane Levy, “Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist”
- Catherine O’Hara, “Schitt’s Creek”
SN prediction: Fanning. Cuoco broke out from “The Big Bang Theory” in an enormous approach and there might be some sentiment towards O’Hara. But there is no doubt Fanning was distinctive as Catherine the Great and deserves this. Levy is a deep sleeper.
Best Actor in a TV Series, Comedy
- Don Cheadle, “Black Monday”
- Nicholas Hoult, “The Great”
- Eugene Levy, “Schitt’s Creek”
- Jason Sudeikis, “Ted Lasso”
- Ramy Youssef, “Ramy
SN prediction: Sudeikis. This is another strong category with a different strong Levy, but let’s hope the Globes realize and recognize how brilliantly funny the “Ted Lasso” star is.
Best TV Series, Drama
- “The Crown”
- “Lovecraft Country”
- “The Mandalorian”
SN prediction: “The Crown.” HFPA loves its royals, regardless that the successful mixture of Din Djarin and Grogu cannot be dominated out for a significant “Mandalorian” upset.
Best Actress in a TV Series, Drama
- Olivia Colman, “The Crown”
- Jodie Comer, “Killing Eve”
- Emma Corrin, “The Crown”
- Laura Linney, “Ozark”
- Sarah Paulson, “Ratched”
SN prediction: Corrin. It’s time for the late Lady Diana to dethrone Queen Elizabeth.
Best Actor in a TV Series, Drama
- Jason Bateman, “Ozark”
- Josh O’Connor, “The Crown”
- Bob Odenkirk, “Better Call Saul”
- Matthew Rhys, “Perry Mason”
- Al Pacino, “Hunters”
SN prediction: Bateman. Here’s how “Ozark” will get on the board. Don’t sleep on Rhys, “The Americans” veteran, from pulling the upset over Bateman, O’Conner and Odenkirk. Pacino will simply accept remaining a legendary fashionable actor. (Ooh aah!)
Best TV Movie or Limited-Series
- “Normal People”
- “The Queen’s Gambit”
- “Small Axe”
- “The Undoing”
SN prediction: “The Queen’s Gambit.” Let’s hope it is a massive Knight for the SN and fan favourite, reigning as each King and Queen as the most effective fictional chess story ever advised. Checkmate to the remainder of the pawns on the board. Related: “The Undoing” ought to be referred to as “The Overdone.”
Best Actress in a Series, Limited-Series, or TV Movie
- Cate Blanchett, “Miss America”
- Daisy Edgar-Jones, “Normal People”
- Shira Haas, “Unorthodox”
- Nicole Kidman, “The Undoing”
- Anya Taylor-Joy, “The Queen’s Gambit”
SN prediction: Taylor-Joy. There’s no “The Queen’s Gambit” with out its younger Queen. You even have to be kidding me with one other Kidman HBO efficiency of taking part in a wealthy particular person concerned in a mysterious loss of life involving her husband.
Best Actor in a Series, Limited-Series, or TV Movie
- Bryan Cranston, “Your Honor”
- Jeff Daniels, “The Comey Rule”
- Hugh Grant, “The Undoing”
- Mark Ruffalo, “I Know This Much is True”
- Ethan Hawke, “The Good Lord Bird”
SN prediction: Ruffalo, who ought to be given two Globes for enjoying twins. We wouldn’t find it irresistible if really Grant gained. OK, now we’re coming “Undone.”
Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Limited-Series, or TV Movie
- Gillian Anderson, “The Crown”
- Helena Bonham Carter, “The Crown”
- Julia Garner, “Ozark”
- Annie Murphy, “Schitt’s Creek”
- Cynthia Nixon, “Ratched”
SN prediction: Anderson. The fact is on the market that “The Crown” will double up with Margaret Thatcher. It’s additionally unhealthy and lazy that HFPA nonetheless cannot separate drama from comedy right here. As Murphy would possibly say as Alexis, “Ew!” to that.
Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Limited-Series or TV Movie
- John Boyega, “Small Axe”
- Brendan Gleeson, “The Comey Rule”
- Daniel Levy, “Schitt’s Creek”
- Jim Parsons, “Hollywood”
- Donald Southerland, “The Undoing”
SN prediction: Gleeson. He performs the correct former president on the proper time and that is all we’d like to learn about that. This Levy can be caught in a comedic no-win state of affairs like Murphy.