This Latin dessert is certain to win your coronary heart with creamy custard layered in clean caramel. In this flan recipe, cream cheese is added for further indulgence!
Each chunk of flan is heaven. Caramel and cream are one of the best mixtures! If you’re like me and love all issues wealthy and candy, it is best to give my crème brulée, dulce de leche cheesecake bars, and caramel apple upside-down cake a strive!
Cream Cheese Caramel Flan Recipe
For these of you who haven’t tried flan earlier than, you’re in for a deal with! It’s certainly one of my favorites! Flan is a custard-based dessert topped with a skinny, clean layer of caramel. It’s mostly present in Mexico, Spain, and Puerto Rico. You’ll discover tons of various sorts of this dish, however the variety I’m making at this time is known as Flan de Queso- also called cream cheese flan! And let me let you know. Cream cheese flan is the love baby of crème brulée and cheesecake. So extremely scrumptious!
Truthfully, flan appears much more tough to make than it truly is. It solely consists of some easy steps! All you’ve acquired to do is combine up your caramel in a saucepan and use a water bathtub to cook dinner your custard base. Once all the things is baked, you flip the pan such as you would with a bundt or upside-down cake. Perfectly formed custard smothered in caramel ought to slide proper out! It’s a melt-in-your-mouth dream. Let’s make some flan!
Flan makes use of tremendous easy components. The caramel sauce, for instance, solely wants sugar and water! Then, the custard is only a combine of some pantry staples. The key components listed here are condensed and evaporated milk for optimum creaminess. You’ll adore it! Measurements for every ingredient are within the recipe card under.
- Granulated Sugar: Sugar melts right down to develop into the golden caramel drizzle you see on high of the flan!
- Water: Water dissolves your sugar and helps all the things soften down superbly!
- Cream Cheese: Cream cheese is the star participant right here. It provides a touch of tang and creaminess to your flan!
- Granulated Sugar: Added for the right candy taste. Eggs bind all the things collectively!
- Eggs: I’ve discovered that giant eggs work greatest right here.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: Everything is best with condensed milk! This sweetens the flan and makes it good and clean, too.
- Evaporated Milk: Added for an additional milky taste.
- Vanilla: Vanilla tastes superb paired with the opposite creamy components on this dessert. If you possibly can, use pure vanilla extract! This will give it a greater taste.
How to Make the Best Flan
Making tasty flan simply requires a bit of persistence and a spotlight to element. See extra tips about getting one of the best outcomes under! You’re going to like the way it seems. So creamy, candy, and decadent!
- Melt Ingredients: Let’s start! In a heavy saucepan, cook dinner the sugar and water over medium warmth till melted and boiling. Cook till it simply begins to show amber.
- Pour in Bottom of Pan: Next, take away from the warmth and pour into an ungreased 9 inch x 2 inch excessive cake pan, or a 2 quart baking dish. It will flip laborious within the backside of the pan, however that’s okay!
- Preheat Oven: First, preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Beat Cream Cheese and Eggs: In the bowl of a mixer, beat the cream cheese till clean and no lumps stay. Add within the eggs one after the other, mixing till every is totally included. You might must scrape the underside of the bowl between eggs to ensure there aren’t any lumps of cream cheese left. Otherwise, you’ll find yourself with lumpy flan.
- Mix Ingredients, Add to Pan: Add within the remaining components and blend till clean. Then, pour over the caramel topping within the pan.
- Bake in Water Bath: Place the pan in a bigger baking dish or roasting pan with excessive sides and pour boiling water into the bigger pan till it’s about 1 inch deep. Bake for 50-60 minutes, till the middle continues to be barely jiggly.
- Cool: Remove from the oven and take away the pan from the bigger baking dish. Cool for about an hour. Cover and refrigerate in a single day.
- Flip and Serve: When able to serve, place the pan on a baking sheet with scorching water for a couple of minute to loosen the caramel from the pan. Run a knife across the edge and rapidly and punctiliously invert onto a rimmed serving plate. And, voila! You’ve made scrumptious flan!
Tips and Tricks for Making Flan
While this recipe is fairly simple, there are some things that may preserve you from making one of the best flan attainable. Since we’re working with do-it-yourself caramel and eggs- there are specific situations that must be met in order that all the things tastes scrumptious! Keep the following pointers in thoughts and also you’ll be making flan like a professional.
- Use Room Temperature Ingredients: Make positive your moist components are at room temperature earlier than mixing them collectively. This will make your custard smoother!
- Don’t Skip the Water Bath: A water bathtub is likely one of the most vital components of this recipe. The steam from the tub cooks the custard gently to maintain it from curdling or scrambling.
- Overcooking Caramel: Make positive you don’t cook dinner your caramel combination on too excessive of warmth. If your sugar burns, it should develop into bitter.
- Use a Strainer: When you pour your custard into your pan, strive pouring it via a strainer to forestall air bubbles!
- Chill: Flan wants loads of time to set. Make positive it cools for a minimum of just a few hours within the fridge earlier than serving.
- Adding Flavors: For a bit of further taste, strive including citrus zest, shredded coconut, or perhaps a couple tablespoons of espresso powder to your caramel combination.
- Serve With: Flan tastes nice served with contemporary fruit like strawberries, raspberries, or perhaps a fruit salad. Slightly whipped cream or chopped nuts on high is superb, too!
Storing Leftover Flan
Flan is greatest served contemporary for optimum taste and texture. But with correct storage, it will probably style simply nearly as good just a few days after! There’s nothing higher than discovering flan within the fridge after I’m craving one thing candy.
- In the Refrigerator: Store your flan in an hermetic container or coated in plastic wrap. It will preserve for as much as 3 days.
- In the Freezer: Make positive your flan has utterly cooled earlier than freezing. Wrap in plastic wrap after which retailer in a freezer bag. It will preserve for as much as 2 months, but it surely’s greatest served on the 1 month mark. Thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than consuming.
- In a heavy saucepan cook dinner the sugar and water over medium warmth till melted and boiling. Cook till it simply begins to show amber after which take away from the warmth and pour into an ungreased 9-inch x 2-inch high cake pan, or a 2-quart baking dish. It will flip laborious within the backside of the pan, however that is okay.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In the bowl of a mixer, beat the cream cheese till clean and no lumps stay. Add within the eggs one after the other, mixing till every is totally included. You might must scrape the underside of the bowl between eggs to ensure there aren’t any lumps of cream cheese left, in any other case, you’ll find yourself with lumpy custard.
Add within the remaining components and blend till clean. Pour over the caramel topping within the pan.
Place the pan in a bigger baking dish or roasting pan with excessive sides and pour boiling water into the bigger pan till it’s about 1 inch deep. Bake for 50-60 minutes, till the middle, continues to be barely jiggly.
Remove from the oven and take away the pan from the bigger baking dish. Cool for about an hour. Cover and refrigerate in a single day.
When able to serve, place the pan on a baking sheet with scorching water for a couple of minute to loosen the caramel from the pan, run a knife across the edge, and rapidly and punctiliously invert onto a rimmed serving plate.
Calories133kcal (7%)Carbohydrates22g (7%)Protein4g (8%)Fat3g (5%)Saturated Fat1g (5%)Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat1gTrans Fat1gCholesterol116mg (39%)Sodium46mg (2%)Potassium46mg (1%)Sugar22g (24%)Vitamin A171IU (3%)Vitamin C1mg (1%)Calcium19mg (2%)Iron1mg (6%)
All dietary information is predicated on third celebration calculations and is simply an estimate. Each recipe and dietary worth will range relying on the manufacturers you employ, measuring strategies and portion sizes per family.