NewsUS

CHR airs concern over Parlade remarks, threat vs journo


CHR

MANILA, Philippines — The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) on Monday expressed concern over Army Lt. Gen. Antonio Parlade Jr.’s threat to presumably apply the Anti-Terrorism Act towards a journalist who reported on a petition towards the legislation within the Supreme Court.

CHR spokesperson Atty. Jacqueline Ann de Guia was reacting to Parlade’s social media posts towards INQUIRER.internet reporter Tetch Torres-Tupas over a narrative on two Aetas who filed a petition earlier than the Supreme Court towards the antiterror legislation.

“The Commission on Human Rights continues to note and express concern over the ongoing threats to the country’s civic space, particularly the recent red tagging and threat to sue journalist Tetch Torres-Tupas over a report on an alleged torture of Aetas who were said to be members of the New People’s Army and a possible overreach of the Anti-Terrorism Act,” de Guia mentioned in an announcement.

De Guia identified that in 2020, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights has additionally burdened considerations over “what appears to be ‘a pattern of intimidation’ of independent news sources,” additional aggravated by practices of pink tagging and submitting of authorized circumstances towards journalists.

“Since then, the Philippine government has committed to improve the human rights situation on the ground, yet such practices continue to persist. It is even more concerning that similar pronouncements come from government officials and representatives—further aggravating the compounding human rights challenges on the ground,” de Guia mentioned.

De Guia reminded the Philippine authorities of its human rights commitments and inherent obligations, saying that “[m]ore than reiteration of promises, government must put words into action.”

“At the same time, in the face of the continuing challenges to free speech and expression, we also stress the importance of discourse and guarantee of protected rights,” De Guia mentioned.

“CHR condemns any attempt to use laws to curtail rights, as we are equally vigilant against assertions of freedoms that infringe upon the rights of others,” the CHR spokesperson added.

Parlade response

Several media organizations and teams have hit Parlade over the remarks he made towards Tupas as she was solely doing her job.

Asked to touch upon the teams’ demand for a public apology for his baseless allegations towards Tupas, Parlade advised the Inquirer: “Lahat ba kayo nagsulat ng Aeta complaint na fake? Lahat kayo mag explain dapat. (Did you all write about that Aetas’ fake complaint? All of you should do some explaining.)”

“Is the media trying to influence the magistrate (sic) hearing the petitions by peddling news which they already know to be fake?” he requested.

Parlade added: “The AFP has been denying that report already, ever since, because it never happened. It’s being reported abroad and is besmirching the image of the country not only the AFP.”

Newly-designated Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief of Staff Lieutenant General Cirilito Sobejana earlier mentioned the army won’t harm anybody besides these recognized as enemies of the state.

He added that the army ought to look again on the “erroneous things that we committed and we should learn from that.”

“We should not hurt anybody unless he is an enemy of the state so we have to really identify the enemies of the state as what I have said so that walang collateral damage. Rest assured, magiging deliberate kami sa aming ginagawa,” Sobejana mentioned in an interview with ABS-CBN News Channel.

Sobejana didn’t straight reply to the question on whether or not he handled the Inquirer reporter as “enemy of the state” however he made positive that they’d train due diligence of their operations.

“Not necessarily investigate Parlade’s statement, we have to investigate or validate about the involvement of anybody, not necessarily Inquirer, but it applies to all. As what I have said, we exercise due diligence,” the army official mentioned.

Meanwhile, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana mentioned he has ordered the Armed Forces of the Philippines to conduct an investigation on the Parlade incident.

“That’s why I have directed the chief of staff to talk to him again about this. We may be able to prevent this from happening in the future,” Lorenzana mentioned in an interview with CNN Philippines on Monday.

“Maybe he overstepped what he was doing. I’m going to let the chief of staff deal with him. Sila muna mag-usap how to address this concern from a journalist and the media about these accusations by Gen. Parlade,” he added.

JPV/ASU


Read Next

Don’t miss out on the most recent information and information. ch like us ch follow us

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get entry to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & different 70+ titles, share as much as 5 devices, hearken to the information, obtain as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For suggestions, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.



Source Link – newsinfo.inquirer.net

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

four × four =

Back to top button