Refresh for updates… Stephen Daldry and Alex Timbers gained the Tony Awards for his or her route of, respectively, The Inheritance and Moulin Rouge! The Musical.
Daldry, accepting the award for Best route of a play, made particular point out of the many individuals who died “in that other pandemic, AIDS,” the topic of the Matthew Lopez play The Inheritance. Timbers, accepting for finest route of a musical, included Baz Luhrmann, director of the 2001 movie model of Moulin Rouge!, in his thank-yous.
A Christmas Carol, tailored from the Charles Dickens basic by playwright Jack Thorne and which starred Campbell Scott as Scrooge through the 2019 vacation season gained the Tonys for scenic design, costume design, lighting and sound design for a play, and in addition took the award for Best Original Score.
Deadline’s Tony Award Picks & Predictions 2021: ‘Jagged Little Pill’ Or ‘Moulin Rouge’? Hiddleston Or Gyllenhaal? Choices For A Most Unusual Year
Lauren Patten, profitable the Tony Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Musical for her function in Jagged Little Pill thanked her trans and non-binary colleagues for participating in a dialogue about her character Jo.
“I want to thank my trans and nonbinary friends and colleagues who have engaged with me in difficult conversations that have joined me in dialogue about my character, Jo,” Patten mentioned. “I believe that the future for the change we need to see on Broadway comes from these kinds of conversations that are full of honesty and empathy and respect for our shared humanity. And I am so excited to see the action that comes from them, and to see where that leads our future as theatre artists in this country.”
Jagged Little Pill author Diablo Cody gained the Tony Award for Best Book of a Musical, however didn’t handle the current controversies.
The writing of Patten’s character drew criticism from the trans and non-binary communities after the manufacturing revised the character named Jo from non-binary in a pre-Broadway staging to a homosexual cis feminine character for Broadway. Producers later apologized and outlined steps they plan to take to deal with the matter.
David Alan Grier gained the Tony Award for actor in a featured function in a play for his efficiency in A Soldier’s Play, and Danny Burstein then was awarded the trophy for featured actor in a musical for Moulin Rouge!
Veteran stage actor Lois Smith gained for her featured function within the play The Inheritance.
Moulin Rouge! took the identical quartet of main design awards within the musical classes: Scenic, costume, lighting and sound design.
The 74th Annual Tony Awards, hosted by Audra McDonald, can be livestreamed tonight at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT, completely on Paramount+. The presentation will honor the excellent exhibits, performances and artistry of the 2019-2020 Broadway season, which was dropped at a halt in March 2020 by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Tony Awards Present: Broadway’s Back!, hosted by Leslie Odom, Jr., airs at 9 p.m. ET/PT on CBS and can be accessible to stream reside and on demand on Paramount+.
Below discover the entire record of Tony nominees, particular award recipients and honorees. Deadline will replace this winners list because the awards are introduced.
74th ANNUAL TONY AWARDS WINNERS LIST
Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Play
David Alan Grier, A Soldier’s Play
Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Musical
Danny Burstein, Moulin Rouge! The Musical
Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Play
Lois Smith, The Inheritance
Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Musical
Lauren Patten, Jagged Little Pill
Best Scenic Design of a Play
Rob Howell, A Christmas Carol
Best Costume Design of a Play
Rob Howell, A Christmas Carol
Best Lighting Design of a Play
Hugh Vanstone, A Christmas Carol
Best Scenic Design of a Musical
Derek McLane, Moulin Rouge! The Musical
Best Costume Design of a Musical
Catherine Zuber, Moulin Rouge! The Musical
Best Lighting Design of a Musical
Justin Townsend, Moulin Rouge! The Musical
Best Sound Design of a Musical
Peter Hylenski, Moulin Rouge! The Musical
Best Sound Design of a Play
Simon Baker, A Christmas Carol
Best Original Score (Music and/or Lyrics) Written for the Theatre
A Christmas Carol
Music: Christopher Nightingale
Best Book of a Musical
Jagged Little Pill
Katie Kresek, Charlie Rosen, Matt Stine and Justin Levine, Moulin Rouge! The Musical
Sonya Tayeh, Moulin Rouge! The Musical
Best Direction of a Play
Stephen Daldry, The Inheritance
Best Direction of a Musical
Alex Timbers, Moulin Rouge! The Musical
74th ANNUAL TONY AWARDS NOMINATIONS LIST
Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Play
Ian Barford, Linda Vista
Andrew Burnap, The Inheritance
Jake Gyllenhaal, Sea Wall/A Life
Tom Hiddleston, Betrayal
Tom Sturridge, Sea Wall/A Life
Blair Underwood, A Soldier’s Play
Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Play
Joaquina Kalukango, Slave Play
Laura Linney, My Name is Lucy Barton
Audra McDonald, Frankie and Johnny within the Clair de Lune
Mary-Louise Parker, The Sound Inside
Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical
Aaron Tveit, Moulin Rouge! The Musical
Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical
Karen Olivo, Moulin Rouge! The Musical
Elizabeth Stanley, Jagged Little Pill
Adrienne Warren, Tina – The Tina Turner Musical
Special Tony Awards can be offered to:
- The Broadway Advocacy Coalition, an arts-based advocacy nonprofit devoted to constructing the capability of people, organizations and communities to make use of storytelling as a manner of dismantling the techniques that perpetuate racism. The group was based in 2016 by a number of Black members of the Broadway group as a direct response to the nation’s pandemic of rac:ism and police brutality, and has since grown right into a multidisciplinary group which unites artists, authorized specialists and group advocates to create lasting impression and collaborations on coverage points starting from prison justice reform to training fairness to immigration.
- David Byrne’s American Utopia, the Broadway theatrical live performance manufacturing described by the Tony Awards administration committee as “a jubilant celebration of live music, community, and connection.” The manufacturing not too long ago returned to Broadway for a restricted engagement.
- Freestyle Love Supreme, created by Thomas Kail, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Anthony Veneziale, was developed within the basement of The Drama Bookshop in 2004 and slowly labored its approach to Broadway’s Booth Theatre in 2019. Directed by Kail, the acclaimed present incorporates a comedic improvisational musical construction, and a rotating solid. Freestyle Love Supreme will return to Broadway for a strictly restricted engagement on the Booth on Thursday, October 7.
Tony Honors For Excellence within the Theater can be offered to:
- Fred Gallo, President of PRG Scenic Technologies. Gallo, a former stagehand and manufacturing carpenter, co-founded Scenic Technologies resulting in the formation of his firm PRG, one of many world’s main suppliers of surroundings and automation for theatrical productions.
- Irene Gandy, the primary Black feminine press agent member of the Association of Theatrical Press Agents and Managers, and a Tony Award-winning Broadway producer for The Gershwins’ Porgy and Bess, and a producer for Lady Day at Emerson’s Bar and Grill starring Audra MacDonald.
- Beverly Jenkins, knowledgeable stage supervisor for over 30 years, at present the manufacturing stage supervisor for the Tony Award-winning Best Musical Hadestown.
- Woodie King, Jr., founding father of the New Federal Theatre, a groundbreaking firm with a mission to combine artists of shade and ladies into the mainstream of American theater.
The 2020 Isabelle Stevenson Tony Award can be offered to:
- Actress Julie Halston for her work and advocacy in elevating funding and consciousness for the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation.
THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES WILL BE PRESENTED DURING The Tony Awards Present: Broadway’s Back!
Author: Bess Wohl
Producers: Second Stage Theater, Carole Rothman, Williamstown Theatre Festival, Mandy Greenfield
Author: Matthew López
Sea Wall/A Life
Author: Simon Stephens & Nick Payne
Author: Jeremy O. Harris
The Sound Inside
Author: Adam Rapp
Jagged Little Pill
Moulin Rouge! The Musical
Tina – The Tina Turner Musical
Best Revival of a Play
Betrayal Harold Pinter
Frankie and Johnny within the Clair de Lune Terrence McNally
A Soldier’s Play Charles Fuller