The Ohio Bobcats pulled off an upset over the reigning nationwide champion Virginia Cavaliers in the primary spherical of the 2021 NCAA Tournament. Now, they may look to make historical past.
Only a handful of 13 seeds groups have made it to the Sweet 16. No crew has completed it twice, however Ohio can have an opportunity to try this if they will beat Creighton on Monday.
It has been almost a decade since a 13 seed has made it to the Sweet 16. It has additionally been almost a decade since Ohio has been to the Sweet 16. The Bobcats are hoping to get again there, and here is how they evaluate to earlier 13 seeds to win video games, together with opponents, margin of victory, key gamers and extra.
Last time a 13 seed made the Sweet 16
In the NCAA Tournament’s historical past, six 13 seeds have made it to the Sweet 16. Here are the six of them:
- 1988: Richmond
- 1998: Valparaiso
- 1999: Oklahoma
- 2006: Bradley
- 2012: Ohio
- 2013: La Salle
Ohio shall be trying to make it seven. In order to achieve this, they will want to beat the Creighton Blue Jays, a crew that escaped their opening-round recreation with an in depth, one-point victory over UC Santa Barbara. Meanwhile, the Bobcats knocked off Virginia, the defending nationwide champions.
How many 13 seeds have made it to the Sweet 16?
- Opponents: 4-seed Indiana, 5-seed Georgia Tech, 1-seed Temple
- Margin of victory: 3.5 factors per recreation
After profitable the Colonial Athletic Association match following a 21-6 common season, Richmond made the NCAA Tournament and was in a position to go on a little bit of a run. They knocked off Bob Knight’s Indiana Hoosiers and beat the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets earlier than a 22-point loss to the top-seeded Temple. This run set the bottom for Richmond to turn into the primary ever 15-seed to win a recreation in the NCAA Tournament in opposition to Syracuse a number of years later.
- Peter Woolfolk: 18.3 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 0.7 spg
- Rodney Rice: 12.3 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 2.3 apg
- Ken Atkinson: 11.7 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 2.3 apg
- Steve Kratzer: 6.7 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 1.0 spg
The largest title on this listing is Kenny Atkinson. He by no means performed in the NBA after going undrafted in 1990, however he had a 14-year taking part in profession abroad and not too long ago was the pinnacle coach of the Brooklyn Nets. Currently, he’s an assistant coach with Tyronn Lue’s Los Angeles Clippers.
- Opponents: 4-seed Ole Miss, 12-seed Florida State, 8-seed Rhode Island
- Margin of victory: 3.5 factors per recreation
Valparaiso received the Mid-Continent Conference in 1998 and made it to the NCAA Tournament. It seemed like they have been on their approach to a first-round exit earlier than Bryce Drew hit an unbelievable buzzer-beater when the Crusaders inbounded the ball downcourt and obtained the shot up in simply 2.5 seconds. They stayed sizzling in opposition to fellow double-digit seed Florida State earlier than their run recreation to an finish in opposition to Rhode Island.
- Bryce Drew: 20.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 5.0 apg, 2.7 spg
- Zoran Viskovic: 13.7 ppg, 4 rpg, 1.3 bpg
- Jamie Sykes: 11.3 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 2.0 apg
- Bill Jenkins: 6.7 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 1.3 apg
Drew was the star of the match for the Crusaders. He made the all-regional match crew and would go on to turn into the sixteenth general choose in 1998 NBA Draft by the Houston Rockets. He would play for 3 NBA groups (the Rockets, Bulls, and Hornets) by means of 2004 earlier than heading abroad for a few years. Since then, Drew has been a head coach at Valparaiso, Vanderbilt, and most not too long ago, Grand Canyon University. He simply led Grand Canyon to their first NCAA Tournament berth in college historical past.
- Opponents: 4-seed Arizona, 5-seed Charlotte, 1-seed Michigan State
- Margin of victory: Seven factors per recreation
Oklahoma was given a 13-seed, which is uncommon for a Power 5 convention, after a 20-10 season. They obtained to tackle Arizona in the primary spherical and received by a single level earlier than dispatching mid-major Charlotte. Kelvin Sampson’s squad could not fairly get by Michigan State and ended their run in the Sweet 16.
- Eduardo Najera: 14.7 ppg, 11.7 rpg, 1.7 spg, 1.7 bpg
- Eric Martin: 11.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.7 apg
- Ryan Humphrey: 10.3 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 1.3 apg, 1.0 spg, 1.0 bpg
- Alex Spaulding: 9.7 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 3.7 apg, 1.0 spg
Najera was a stud throughout his school days and he grew to become a stable rotational big-man on the NBA stage. He averaged 4.9 factors and three.7 rebounds per recreation throughout his 12-year NBA profession. He is now a scout with the Dallas Mavericks.
- Opponents: 4-seed Kansas, 5-seed Pittsburgh, 1-seed Memphis
- Margin of victory: Five factors per recreation
Bradley went 20-10 through the common season and made it into the match through an at-large bid. The Missouri Valley Conference crew would go on a run from there, knocking off Kansas and Pittsburgh en route to a Sweet 16 look. Bradley is commonly ignored when trying again at this match, because the 11-seeded George Mason went on a Final Four run through the 2006 match.
- Marcellus Sommerville: 19.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.0 spg
- Patrick O’Bryant: 14.7 ppg, 10.3 rpg, 1.0 spg
- Lawrence Wright: 11.0 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.0 apg
- Daniel Ruffin: 7.3 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 5.0 apg, 1.7 spg
The Braves had a well-balanced offense throughout their run to the Sweet 16 with a few professionals on their roster. Sommerville went on to have a prolonged abroad profession after his time at Bradley. Meanwhile, O’Bryant went on to turn into a top-10 choose in the 2006 NBA Draft by the Golden State Warriors. He performed 5 seasons in the NBA with the Warriors, Boston Celtics, and Toronto Raptors. He performed a career-high 26 video games with the Celtics through the 2008-09 season.
- Opponents: 4-seed Michigan, 12-seed South Florida, 1-seed UNC
- Margin of victory: 5.5 factors per recreation
The Bobcats almost obtained additional than another 13-seed in historical past. They took the UNC Tar Heels to time beyond regulation in the Sweet 16 however in the end misplaced. Before that, they dealt losses to the Wolverines and the South Florida Bulls in a formidable run. Nine years later, the 2021 Bobcats are trying to repeat historical past.
- Walter Offutt: 19.3 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.0 apg, 2.3 spg
- D.J. Cooper: 16.7 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 6.0 apg, 1.3 spg
- Nick Kellogg: 9.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.0 apg
- Ivo Baltic: 5.3 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 2.0 apg, 1.7 spg
Ohio produced plenty of steals through the NCAA Tournament, and that is one of many fundamental causes that they have been in a position to win. They performed plenty of nice protection and annoyed even the perfect Power 5 packages. Though Ohio put forth good numbers and performances, none of their gamers have been drafted into the NBA. They have not seen a participant get drafted since 2003, although Cooper and Kellogg have loved abroad careers.
La Salle (2013)
- Opponents: 13-seed Boise State (First Four recreation), 4-seed Kansas State, 12-seed Ole Miss, 9-seed Wichita State
- Margin of victory: Two factors per recreation
Just one 12 months after Ohio’s profitable run, La Salle burst onto the scene and made the Sweet 16. Their run was spectacular, because it began in the First Four in opposition to the Boise State Broncos and continued as they knocked off two different groups earlier than falling by the hands of Wichita State. Nonetheless, the three video games received by a 13 seed is the NCAA report and can doubtless stand till a 13 seed could make their approach to the Elite Eight.
- Ramon Galloway: 18.8 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 3.5 apg, 1.3 spg
- Jerrell Wright: 14.5 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.0 bpg
- Tyrone Garland: 14.3 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.3 apg, 1.5 spg
- Sam Mills: 10 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1.8 apg
La Salle relied closely on these 4 gamers for his or her offense through the NCAA Tournament. Galloway, a South Carolina switch, was their star and Garland offered pop for them off the bench. None of those gamers ended up taking part in in the NBA, however Galloway remains to be taking part in abroad and had a handful of Summer League stints with NBA groups.