Like their large display brethren—i.e. the widespread sequel—TV spinoffs bear an identical burden of low expectation. Indeed, the worst examples come off as little greater than formulaic money grabs that attempt to capitalize on the iconography and success of their predecessors. As one will quickly uncover, nevertheless, there are particular exceptions to the rule. After all, who can argue with the enduring charms and distinctive rewards of exhibits comparable to Frasier or The Jeffersons, each of which had been spinoffs?
Meanwhile, the very idea of a by-product can get barely sophisticated in in the present day’s expansive cultural local weather. Take one thing like The Archie Show, for instance. Based on a comic book guide sequence, it debuted in 1968 and impressed plenty of direct spinoffs. But do modern-day automobiles comparable to Riverdale and The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina—each of which function Archie characters—technically depend as spinoffs of the unique animated sequence? Then there is a present like Good Times, a by-product of Maude, which is a by-product of All within the Family. Does that imply Good Times can be a by-product of All within the Family?
Stacker dug into TV historical past and recognized 10 exhibits which have impressed a number of spinoffs. For the sake of comprehension, any sequence that might be tied to an authentic predecessor was counted as a by-product. Movies, one-off TV specials, and webisodes weren’t included. In some instances, the spinoff grew to become a smash hit of its personal. In others, it shortly light into obscurity. No matter what its destiny, every one expanded upon the universe of an iconic predecessor and thereby broadened the TV panorama at massive.
You might also like: Best TV Show released the year you were born
- ‘Happy Days’ (1974–1984)
- ‘Star Trek: The Original Series’ (1966–1969)
- ‘Black-ish’ (2014–current)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ (2010–current)
- ‘Law & Order’ (1990–2010)
- ‘Cheers’ (1982–1993)
- ‘The Yogi Bear Show’ (1961–1962)
- ‘Scooby Doo, Where Are You!’ (1969–1970)
- ‘All within the Family’ (1971–1979)
- ‘The Archie Show’ (1968–1969)
‘Happy Days’ (1974–1984)
– Spinoffs: “Laverne & Shirley,” “Mork & Mindy,” “Blansky’s Beauties,” “Out of the Blue,” “Joanie Loves Chachi,” “The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang,” “Laverne & Shirley with The Fonz”
Among the legion of Happy Days spinoffs, Laverne & Shirley was the most important hit. It follows two of Fonzie’s associates by varied misadventures in Milwaukee and California. On Mork & Mindy, former Happy Days visitor star Robin Williams broke out as a unusual alien.
‘Star Trek: The Original Series’ (1966–1969)
– Spinoffs: “Star Trek: The Animated Series,” “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” “Star Trek: Discovery,” “Picard,” “Short Treks,” “Lower Decks,” “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,” “Star Trek: Voyager,” “Star Trek: Enterprise”
In addition to 9 TV spinoffs (with more on the way), Star Trek: The Original Series spawned 13 function movies together with numerous books and video games. Star Trek: The Next Generation debuted in 1987 and takes place a full century after the occasions of the unique present. It stars Patrick Stewart as Captain Jean-Luc Picard, whose story continues with a sequence referred to as Picard.
– Spinoffs: “Grown-ish,” “Mixed-ish”
Black-ish creator Kenya Barris adopted his hit sitcom with two single-camera spinoffs, each of which aired on the Freeform Channel. In Grown-ish, eldest daughter Zoey (Yara Shahidi) heads off to school for a sequence of misadventures. Mixed-ish is a prequel that explores Rainbow Johnson’s distinctive upbringing in a blended race household.
‘The Walking Dead’ (2010–current)
– Spinoffs: “Fear the Walking Dead,” “The Walking Dead: World Beyond”
Fear the Walking Dead chronicles the zombie rebellion in Los Angeles and takes place across the identical time as The Walking Dead. Co-created by comedian guide author Robert Kirkman, it often options characters from the unique sequence. The Walking Dead: World Beyond jumps forward a full decade and depicts the primary era of youngsters to come back of age through the apocalypse.
‘Law & Order’ (1990–2010)
– Spinoffs: “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit,” “Law & Order: Organized Crime,” “Law & Order: Criminal Intent,” “Law & Order: Trial by Jury,” “Law & Order: LA,” “Law & Order True Crime”
Law & Order: SVU is each the longest-running and hottest spinoff in the whole franchise. It facilities on the investigation and prosecution of sexually associated crimes. A by-product referred to as Law & Order: For the Defense was ordered by NBC in May 2021 whereas Law & Order: Hate Crimes has been in improvement since 2018.
– Spinoffs: “The Tortellis,” “Frasier”
A bar common in Boston, Dr. Frasier Crane (Kelsey Grammer) strikes to Seattle in his eponymous spinoff. Featuring cameos from plenty of Cheers stars, the present is held in comparable excessive regard. Far lesser recognized is The Tortellis, a short-lived spinoff about recurring Cheers characters Nick and Loretta Tortelli.
‘The Yogi Bear Show’ (1961–1962)
– Spinoffs: “Yogi’s Gang,” “Laff-A-Lympics,” “Yogi’s Space Race,” “Yogi’s Treasure Hunt,” “The New Yogi Bear Show,” “Wake, Rattle, and Roll,” “Yo Yogi!”
The authentic Yogi Bear Show ran for simply two seasons however spawned an ongoing franchise. It was revived in 1988 as The New Yogi Bear Show, which blended new episodes with outdated ones. Yogi additionally seems alongside plenty of different Hanna-Barbera characters in assorted TV motion pictures and specials.
‘Scooby Doo, Where Are You!’ (1969–1970)
– Spinoffs: “The New Scooby-Doo Movies,” “The Scooby-Doo Show,” “Scooby’s All-Star Laff-A-Lympics,” “Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo,” “The New Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show,” “The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo,” “A Pup Named Scooby-Doo,” “What’s New, Scooby-Doo?,” “Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue!,” “Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated,” “Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!,” “Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?”
Scooby-Doo and the thriller gang have penetrated each conceivable corner of pop culture. Series spinoffs Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated and Be Cool, Scooby-Doo! each aired on Cartoon Network and ran for 52 episodes, respectively. Viewers can presently catch Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? on the Boomerang Channel.
‘All within the Family’ (1971–1979)
– Spinoffs: “Maude,” “The Jeffersons,” “Archie Bunker’s Place,” “Gloria,” “704 Hauser,” “Good Times,” “Checking In”
This game-changing sitcom was so in style that it yielded spinoffs of its spinoffs, comparable to when Maude gave solution to Good Times. Among the first-wave spinoffs, “The Jeffersons” lasted the longest and arguably rendered essentially the most impression. It chronicles the exploits of George and Louise Jefferson, a well-to-do Black couple who as soon as lived subsequent door to loudmouthed racist Archie Bunker.
‘The Archie Show’ (1968–1969)
– Spinoffs: “The Archie Comedy Hour,” “Archie’s Funhouse,” “Josie and the Pussycats,” “Archie’s TV Funnies,” “The U.S. of Archie,” “The New Archie and Sabrina Hour,” “The Sabrina the Teenage Witch Show,” “The New Archie and Sabrina Hour,” “The New Archies,” “Sabrina the Teenage Witch,” “Archie’s Weird Mysteries,” “Sabrina: The Animated Series,” “Sabrina’s Secret Life,” “Sabrina: Secrets of a Teenage Witch,” “Superhero Kindergarten,” “Riverdale,” “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina,” “Katy Keene”
What started within the Nineteen Forties as a comic book guide sequence grew to become so wide-reaching in scope that there is now a full-blown “Archieverse.” Shows like Riverdale aren’t actually spinoffs of animated predecessors as a lot as they’re unfastened variations of the comedian guide characters. Both The Archie Comedy Hour and Archie’s Funhouse weren’t technically spinoffs both, moderately extensions or expansions of the unique Archie Show.
You might also like: 50 Movies We All Love to Hate